Thursday, April 25, 2013

“He must increase, but I must decrease.” John 3:30

I “started” my blog way back in 2010 but never wrote on it (good thing I didn’t go with a paid blog service!) There have been a number of times since then when an idea was floating around in my mind just waiting to be put to paper (or screen); however, it never happened. For a while I have struggled with whether to keep the blog or abandon the whole idea. What was my reason for writing? Was I trying to prove my worth or knowledge? Was I looking for affirmation from others? Was I trying to promote my opinions and views as better than other bloggers or writers? (Let’s face it; there are a plethora of bloggers who have many more credentials than I have.) Those who know me know that I like to talk…sometimes too much. I have come to realize that the reason I talk so much is because I don’t want to be just another random stranger in a group. I don’t want to come to the end of my life and find that there was no significance to it – that I didn’t have a lasting impact on anyone’s life. I want to be known and understood. I want to be valued. I want to have meaningful relationships, but that requires mutual familiarity and knowledge about one another. I don’t want to conceal who I really am; I want to be transparent so that others know what I stand for, what I enjoy, what I am passionate about… So would it be self-seeking to maintain a blog? That was my question. That was why I waited. As you can see if you are reading this, I finally surrendered to the urge to write. However, rather than focusing on who I am, I hope that this blog becomes about who God is and how we can glorify Him in our thoughts, actions, values, priorities, relationships, careers, and homes. How do events and ideas line up with Scripture? How do we evaluate the truth claims in a book, a movie or a world view? Do we look to the Scripture for Truth or do we buy the lies being sold by entertainment, politics, or religion? I still desire to be known and valued, but I know that my value comes in being a child of God, coheir with Christ to the Kingdom of Heaven. My purpose and pursuit needs to be to proclaim Him and His Word. Hopefully I can keep that goal in mind as I embark on this new adventure in blogging. “He must increase, but I must decrease.” John 3:30

No comments:

Post a Comment